- 1 What does Metronidazole do?
- 2 Metronidazole (Flagyl) dosage for BV
- 3 Metronidazole for UTI
- 4 Flagyl for STD
- 5 Flagyl for diarrhea. Metronidazole dosage for diarrhea
- 6 Metronidazole for trichomoniasis
- 7 What is Metronidazole for dogs?
- 8 Where can I buy Metronidazole?
- 9 Metronidazole over-the-counter (OTC)
- 10 Metronidazole 400 mg price
What does Metronidazole do?
Flagyl (Metronidazole) kills certain types of bacteria that live without oxygen (anaerobic bacteria) and also has effects against single cell organisms (protozoa) infections.
Flagyl is used to treat infections caused by certain types of bacteria that live without oxygen (anaerobic bacteria). Flagyl is also used to avoid infections associated with surgery and further to treat infections caused by certain unicellular organisms (protozoa).
In long-term treatment with Flagyl (eg in Crohn’s disease), tingling and numbness of the hands and feet, dizziness and seizures may occur. Contact your doctor if you experience such symptoms. Flagyl should be used with caution in people suffering from certain diseases of the brain or nervous system.
Metronidazole is indicated in adults and children in the following indications: intra-abdominal, gynecological and dental infections caused by anaerobic bacteria. Preoperative prophylaxis of abdominal surgery against infections caused by anaerobic bacteria. Urogenital infections caused by Trichomonas vaginalis. Amoebiasis. Giardiasis. Active morbus Crohn, preferably in the involvement of the colon and rectum.
Metronidazole (Flagyl) dosage for BV
Antibiotic therapy against bacterial vaginosis involves the use of Metronidazole as the first-line therapy. Orally, it is recommended to take one 300 mg tablet twice a day for 7 consecutive days. Alternatively, it is possible to take a single dose of drug (high dose). The topical application of the drug is also possible: generally the duration of the therapy for topical use is around 5 days, except for further indications from the treating doctor.
Gynecological infections like bacterial vaginosis, or BV for short, are treated with Flagyl according to the following pattern:
- Adults: 400 mg orally in the morning and evening for 5-7 days, or 2000 mg (5 tablets of 400 mg) as a single dose for 2 days at one day of treatment-free interval.
- Adolescents: 400 mg orally and evening for 5-7 days, alternatively 2000 mg (5 tablets of 400 mg) as a single dose.
Although the specific dosage should be defined by the physician based on the clinical and physiopathological characteristics of the patient, the maximum oral dose of Metronidazole is 2 grams per day divided into at least 4 administrations.
Vaginal tablet therapy, on the other hand, should be prolonged for about 10 days with a vaginal tablet a day.
Metronidazole for UTI
In subjects with frequent and recurrent infections, low doses of antibiotics and courses of antibiotic therapy can constitute a valid preventive measure. In uncomplicated cases, urinary tract infections are easily treated with a short course of antibiotics. However, antibiotic resistance, used to treat these types of problems, is rapidly increasing and that therefore more powerful drugs may be required, with less resistance.
In more complicated cases it may be necessary to resort to a long-lasting course of antibiotic therapy, or to the use of intravenous antibiotics. Doctors typically use antibiotics like Metronidazole to treat urinary tract infections.
Symptomatic urethritis and vaginitis:
- Orally (in both women and men). Recent studies indicate that the administration of metronidazole in doses no higher than 2 g is preferable, ie 8 tablets appropriately divided into 4 administrations in a single day.
- By local vaginal route – 1 vaginal tablet every evening introduced deeply, for 10 days, without interruption even during the menstrual period. Topical use can be used as a complementary treatment and is effective in preventing recurrences.
Flagyl for STD
Metronidazole is indicated in the treatment of symptomatic trichomoniasis, both in males and females, when there is laboratory evidence of the presence of the protozoan yielded by laboratory tests (wet smears and / or cultures). It is also indicated for the treatment of asymptomatic women when the body is associated with endocervicitis, cervicitis or cervical erosion.
Asymptomatic sexual partners of treated patients must in turn be treated if there is evidence of the presence of the protozoan. Although STDs can be asymptomatic for most affected patients, it is still necessary and essential to treat it promptly with targeted drugs; if you have unprotected sexual relations with subjects at risk, it is a good rule to undergo a specific control test.
It is recommended to take 2 grams of the drug orally once a day, or 500 mg twice a day for a week; alternatively, take 375 mg twice a day for 7 days, as directed by your doctor. In the case of pediatric STDs, it is recommended to take 15-30 mg of active per kg of body weight, divided into 3 doses (one dose every 8 hours), for a week. For adolescents, the recommended dosage is the same as for adults. The sexual partner must also undergo treatment.
Giardiasis is medicated with Metronidazole in two ways: either 2-3 times a day a coated tablet of 500 mg for 5-7 days, or 4 coated tablets of 500 mg a day and 4 tablets of 500 mg a during day 3. The same therapy is advisable for the partner:
- Adults: 600 mg morning and evening for 6 days.
- Children: 25-40 mg / kg / day divided into 2-3 doses for 6 days.
Complete abstention from sexual intercourse is recommended as long as the drug has exercised its therapeutic action against Trichomonas vaginalis, and until complete remission of symptoms.
Flagyl for diarrhea. Metronidazole dosage for diarrhea
Metronidazole is used as prophylaxis against and treatment of intra-abdominal infections:
- Adults: 400 mg every 8 hours.
- Children > 8 weeks – 12 years: 20-30 mg / kg / day once daily or divided into 7.5 mg / kg every 8 hours. Depending on the severity of the infection, the daily dose may be increased to 40 mg / kg.
- Children < 8 weeks: 15 mg / kg as a single daily dose or divided into 7.5 mg / kg every 12 hours.
- For newborn babies with gestational age < 40 weeks, Metronidazole accumulation may occur during the first week of life, so serum concentrations should be monitored, if possible, after a few days of therapy.
Treatment duration is 7-14 days.
In diarrhea caused by amoebiasis Flagyl is taken according to the following schedule in the doses listed below:
- Adults: 800 mg every 8 hours for 10 days.
- Children: 35-50 mg / kg / day divided into 3 doses for 5-10 days. The dose should not exceed 2400 mg / day.
Metronidazole for trichomoniasis
For infection with Trichomonas, two types of Flagyl treatment are possible: single-dose therapy: 4 tablets coated with 500 mg at the same time, to be taken better in the evening or therapy 10 days: take for 10 days morning and evening each time 1 tablet coated with 250 mg. The same oral dose (coated tablets) is advisable for the partner.
In trichomoniasis and Gardnerella vaginalis vaginosis, the treatment regimen for fertile women should, if possible, be given postmenstrually.
- Adults and adolescents: 2000 mg (5 tablets of 400 mg) as a single dose. Alternatively, one 200 mg tablet 3 times daily for 7 days or 400 mg twice daily for 5-7 days.
- On the occasional occasions when the tablets cause gastrointestinal problems, in the case of colitis treatment, one vagitorium can instead be given daily for 7-14 days. In more severe cases of vaginal trichomonas infestation, combination therapy is recommended: Orally according to one of the above alternatives and 1 vagitorium daily for 7-14 days. Patient and partner should be treated simultaneously, if possible.
- Children < 10 years: 40 mg / kg as a single oral dose or 15-30 mg / kg / day divided into 2-3 doses over 7 days. A single dose must not exceed 2000 mg.
What is Metronidazole for dogs?
As mentioned above, Metronidazole is used to treat conditions such as diarrhea and inflammation of the lower intestine when certain parasitic or bacterial infections are the cause. These include Giardia, Trichomonas and Balantidium coli. It can also be used to treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBS), sepsis, oral or dental infections, bone infections or internal abscesses. The drug is able to cross the blood-brain barrier, which makes it also useful in the treatment of infections of the central nervous system.
The correct dose of metronidazole for dogs depends on which condition is treated. You should always rely on your vet to give you the right dosage for your dog.
- In the case of Giardia, it is often prescribed 7 to 11 mg per pound every 24 hours, but the dosage can be up to 29.5 mg per pound.
- If your dog has an anaerobic bacteria infection, you might expect your vet to prescribe 11 to 22 mg per pound twice a day.
- Metronidazole tablets are generally administered in doses of 250 to 500 mg per pill.
Your veterinarian can give you advice on how to correctly measure the dose for your dog. These pills are sustained release for humans, but dogs have a shorter digestive tract and can only partially digest the drug before passing it. Again, follow your vet’s instructions to administer it. In some cases of sepsis or if the dog’s airway is blocked, a veterinarian can inject the drug.
Some rarer and more serious side effects that usually occur only with long-term use include low platelet counts, liver damage, insomnia or neurological conditions related to toxicity. Neurological symptoms may include convulsions, wobble, stiffness or strange movements and behaviors. If you notice these symptoms, contact your vet immediately.
Where can I buy Metronidazole?
Metronidazole is a widely spread antibacterial drug which is for sale in any city. If you have a prescription, you may go to any pharmacy and buy it according to your prescription. But if you have lost your prescription accidentally or it has been expired, you cannot buy Metronidazole. You should visit a doctor again.
If you have a good medical insurance, it will cover a part of the Metronidazole cost. But you will be offered expensive brand Flagyl in the city pharmacy. It will be expensive than Generic Metronidazole even at the discount. You may ask for your doctor to prescribe Generic Metronidazole. But the insurance does not cover the cost of Generics. So, the best idea for buying Metronidazole is ordering on the internet.
Buy Metronidazole online at the lowest price. You should choose a dose and a number of tablet, a way of the shipment, and pay for the order. To buy Metronidazole online, a prescription is not needed. You are not restricted in the number of the tablets. And if your treatment takes a long period, you do not have to visit a doctor every time for a new prescription.
Buying Metronidazole online is convenient because you save much time and money.
- First, you do not pay for the doctor’s appointment.
- Secondly, you do not spend time on the search of the cheap Metronidazole in the pharmacies in your city.
- Thirdly, you do not experience discomfort in front of other people in the pharmacy. If you worry that people would look at you while you buy Metronidazole, choose the online pharmacy.
To place an order in the internet pharmacy, you will need 5 minutes. A courier will deliver your order to your house within several days. Placing an order online, a complete anonymity is guaranteed. Only you and a representative of the pharmacy who has packed it know what is inside the package.
Metronidazole over-the-counter (OTC)
Metronidazole has got a permission from the FDA for the use in the medicine. The drug has the status of the prescription drug. None city pharmacy sells Metronidazole, if you do not have a prescription.
All antibacterial drugs in the USA are for sale by the prescription only. They have a low abuse liability. But the incorrect administration of the antibiotics harms a patient and the medicine in general. Due to the excessive use of the antibiotics, super bacteria have appeared in the world that is now posing a threat.
But there are cases when a patient knows the scheme of the treatment, or has lost a prescription. Do not go to a doctor for a new prescription. You may buy Metronidazole over-the-counter on the internet. Buying Metronidazole over-the-counter online is absolutely legal. The USA and Canada government do not prevent a purchase of medications from the internet shops, where the prices are lower. Most internet pharmacies are registered outside the USA. The internal laws do not act on them, and therefore they may sell Metronidazole over-the-counter.
If you are planning to buy Metronidazole over-the-counter, you may use the services of the pharmacy pharmacist. He/she will inform you how to take the tablets and in what dose.
But we highly do not recommend to self-treat. It may be dangerous. Your treatment may take long time without doctor’s supervision and may induce complications.
Metronidazole 400 mg price
A minimal cost of Metronidazole 400 mg is $9,00 per tablet in the city pharmacies of the USA. But to find the lowest price of Metronidazole 400 mg, it is necessary to spend time and visit several pharmacies. A minimal cost of a Metronidazole tablet is $16 in the large shops such as Walmart, Kroger Pharmacy, and others.
High extra price brings more profit to the large internet shops and city pharmacies. They may allow the expensive marketing, a big staff and multimillion profit. But it is to the disadvantage of the common citizens.
A real cost of Metronidazole should not exceed $1 per tablet 400 mg. You may make sure in it by visiting the online pharmacy. The average cost of Metronidazole 400 mg online is $0,5-0,7 per tablet. The package with 14 tablets will cost just $10. This is the wholesale price of the manufacturers that they offer to all distributors. Do not be afraid of a low price of Metronidazole 400 mg online. It is not worse than quality expensive tablets which are for sale in the city pharmacies. Somebody works for people, and other people are interested at the high profit.
Author: Dr. Eddie Louie , Infectious Diseases & Immunology, Internal Medicine, Phone: (212) 682-9202